What is meant by Cyber security?
Cyber security refers to the protection of the computer systems and data held therein against threats, such as ransomware which is affecting many organisations today.
Why is it essential to have Cyber security?
In recent years cyber security has come under intense media scrutiny due to the rapid development of cyber risks in both size and number, and the degree of impact on individuals, organisations and government. Which is why in 2014 a Cyber Essentials scheme was launched, that stated that all businesses that keep certain sensitive and personal information should comply with the Cyber Essentials scheme.
There are two stages to the Cyber Essentials scheme. The first stage is Cyber Essentials where the government gives the business a checklist which has to be complied with. The checklist consists of the 5 technical control areas that will enable the business to be more secure. These areas include;
- Use a firewall to secure your Internet connection
- Choose the most secure settings for devices and software
- Control who has access to your data services
- Protect yourself from viruses and other malware
- Keep your devices and software up to date
The second stage is Cyber Essentials PLUS, involves an external audit conducted by a certifying body. There are three steps to cyber essentials certification;
- Review your current IT with regards to the Cyber Essentials standards.
- Undertake the necessary IT upgrade work.
- Either self-certify for Cyber Essentials or apply for third party certification for Cyber Essentials Plus.
Contact Keyfort for templates and further information:
0844 801 4580